The Under One Umbrella Society is a grassroots group of volunteer residents and workers in the Grandview Woodland neighbourhood of Vancouver, British Columbia. We have been working together for ten years to address important social issues in our community like poverty, homelessness, mental health and addictions in creative and inclusive ways. The Under One Umbrella homeless connect event is our annual signature project.
What we do
- Under One Umbrella Service Fair: From 2007-2016 the Under One Umbrella Society has organized the Under One Umbrella Service Fairs. These one-day events bring together a wide range of services in one place so that people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless can learn about what is available. To make the event welcoming, there is food and entertainment.
- Help Around The Drive: In cooperation with community partners, we developed and distributed this brochure on resources in the Grandview-Woodland area.
- Community Updates: We provide updates about initiatives and resources to the community.
- Grandview-Woodlands Needs and Assessment Survey: We undertook a survey of 3,000 local residents into drug and alcohol addiction issues in our neighbourhood.
- Community dialogues and suppers: We organized community meetings to discuss the findings of the Needs and Assessment Survey.
How you can help?
- Come to our meetings in the 2nd week of every month from 6-8 pm at Vancity Community Stage, Il Mercato Building, 1675 Commercial Drive, Vancouver (Commercial Drive and 1st Avenue) – next meeting is Wednesday, June 8, 2016.
- Stay informed about community issues through our newsletter and blog.
- Volunteer at the Under One Umbrella event. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help us fundraise to cover the costs of the Under One Umbrella event. Contact us at email@example.com.
- Donate money to the Under one Umbrella event. Send your donation to us through our community partner, Watari Youth Community and Family Services.
Current and Recent Supporters
- City of Vancouver
- Maritime Labour Centre
- Rohit Group of Companies
- Watari Counselling and Support Services Society
- Vancity Credit Union
- The Kettle Society
- Union Gospel Mission
- Robin’s Pharmacy
- Kiwassa Neighbourhood House
- Urban Native Youth Association
- Rose Charities
- Vancouver Aboriginal Transformative Justice Services Society